Turn back the clock to 10 years ago and say “Coconut oil.” Odds are that people would say “Huh?’ Now coconut oil has become one of the hottest food trends, along with all coconut-related products. Coconut oil ranks in the category of healthy fats. In order for your body to absorb certain types of vitamins, which are known as fat-soluble supplements, your body needs fat – and coconut oil is a great way to fulfill that need. Because it contains lauric acid, coconut oil supports levels of “good” cholesterol (HDL).
But coconut oil is good for more than your insides: It’s also great for your outsides! Use coconut oil to moisturize your skin and hair. High in vitamin E, coconut oil helps protect your skin as well.
This versatile oil can be used in dishes ranging from quick breads such as banana bread to vegetable stir-fries. You can even add it to oatmeal for breakfast by adding coconut milk after you’ve cooked your cereal. And try coconut water for a refreshing hydrating treat.
Here are some coconut options sold by Vitacost that you’ll go cuckoo for:
- Nutiva Extra Virgin Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil: Try it with kale!
- Vitacost Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil: Cheer up chicken by using this oil in a stir-fry with leftover poultry.
- Native Forest Organic Coconut Milk: Make oatmeal special with coconut milk.
- Edward & Sons Let’s Do Organic Creamed Coconut: Creating a company dessert? Get creative with creamed coconut!
- Mountain Ocean Coconut Moisturizer: Ahhh, your skin will thank you.
- Monoi Tiare Tahiti Coconut Oil Vanilla: Use and take a mental trip to Tahiti.
- Vitacoco Coconut Pineapple Water: Yummy, yummy for your tummy.
- Jennies Coconut Macaroons: Perfect for before-bed snacks with a cuppa tea!
- Atkins Endulge Coconut Chocolate Bars:The name says it all: Indulge!
Joanne Eglash, Vitacost.com’s Diet Diva, has a master of science in holistic nutrition and more than 15 years experience as a nutrition consultant, blogger, author and journalist. She has written for a wide range of publications and websites, including ediets.com, Natural Health magazine, Shape magazine, Success magazine, Energy for Women and Chefs. Joanne is currently the national Diets columnist for the online news and entertainment site, Examiner.com, and a features food columnist for Yahoo.