My husband’s number one complaint about salads is that “they’re not filling!”
Luckily, he was pretty pleased when I planted this one on the table — because the main ingredient, red quinoa, is a complete protein and is also packed with filling fiber to keep even the hungriest husbands feeling satisfied. What’s the difference between colorful red quinoa and the regular old grain? It has a sweeter, milder taste – making it the perfect accompaniment to any meal.
Serve this superfood salad as a side dish or a gluten-free, vegan-friendly entree.
Colorful Red Quinoa & Avocado Salad
- 1/3 cup non-GMO, organic red quinoa
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ cup cucumber, diced
- 2 Tbsp organic lime juice
- ½ tsp organic cumin
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups organic greens
- 1 avocado, pitted, sliced and removed from rind
- To cook quinoa, add to water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, then cover and simmer until tender and all water has been absorbed (approximately 15-20 minutes).
- Pour cooked quinoa to medium-sized bowl and refrigerate until chilled.
- Add tomatoes, cucumber and onion and stir to combine. Top with lime juice, cumin, salt and pepper, stir again.
- Serve atop a bed of organic greens and garnish with avocado slices.
Nutritional info: 544 calories, 59 g carbs, 26 g fat, 12 g protein