Magnesium is a mineral that’s essential for more than 300 different functions within the body, from bone formation and nerve function to muscle contraction and protein production. Back in 2000, the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey found that as many as 80% of American adults don’t get enough of this important mineral.
So, how can you be sure you’re getting enough? You can start by adding one of these seven healthy foods to your diet:
- Spinach – Toss some cashews in your salad for even more magnesium
- Quinoa – Serve with garlic and Parmesan cheese to create a sensational side dish
- Red kidney beans – Enjoy the filling fiber and slow-burning energy of these colorful beans with curry spice
- Oatmeal – Sprinkle PB2 peanut butter in your bowl to spruce up breakfast
- Brown rice – Savor these fluffy grains mixed with tomato sauce and stuffed in oven-roasted green peppers
- Bananas – Add the sweetness of sliced bananas to your favorite smoothie
- Shredded wheat – Top with natural stevia for a magnesium-rich treat
Which magnesium-rich food is your favorite?