1. Salmon: The high omega-3 essential fatty acid content of salmon makes it a very smart meal. Omega-3 EFAs are healthy fats, which your brain needs to function efficiently. Salmon also contains an array of other brain- and mood-boosting nutrients, including vitamin D, selenium, B vitamins and protein. Fuel your mind by enjoying a small portion of wild-caught salmon for lunch or dinner at least three times per week.
2. Avocados: Yet another source of healthy fat, avocadoes are a delicious way to stay sharp. The monounsaturated fats found in avocadoes benefit the brain by supporting healthy circulation throughout the body. Add fresh, chopped avocadoes to your salad, make a creamy dip/spread or top your salmon with a few slices for an extra-brainy meal!
3. Oatmeal: Kick-start your day with a warm bowl of hearty oatmeal, which contains brain-healthy B vitamins, fiber, vitamin E and more. Oatmeal also supplies slow-digesting complex carbohydrates, to keep you full and focused for hours.
4. Blueberries: Give your brain a blueberry boost! Blueberries are brimming with powerful compounds that promote brain (and overall body) health. Flavonoids (a type of antioxidant) found in blueberries have been shown to support healthy memory and cognitive function and may provide protection for healthy brain cells. Sprinkle a handful of blueberries on your morning oatmeal for an double dose of brain food.
5. Dark Chocolate: As if you needed another excuse to indulge in chocolate, it may actually be beneficial for your brain! Dark chocolate contains polyphenol antioxidants, which can provide protection from free radical damage. It also contains natural stimulants, including caffeine, which can help promote healthy mood and concentration. The darker the better ““ enjoy a 1 oz. square of 70% or more cocoa per day. (Just don’t overdo it, as dark chocolate is very high in both sugar and fat!)