Break out the apron and tongs — grilling season is here! If you’re looking for a way to eat cleaner, curb meat consumption and save money, you’ll love this recipe for homemade black bean burgers that can be quickly cooked on the backyard grill.
Ground flax “egg” and bread crumbs are used to bind the burgers, while shredded carrots sneak in more veggies! Serve on a gluten-free bun or over a bed of spinach and top with avocado slices (my favorite burger topping) or classic condiments like ketchup and mustard.
If you prefer to make your own black beans rather than using a canned variety, I have included my simple crockpot method. This makes a lot of beans for a huge cost savings!
Ingredients: (makes 4 burgers)
- 2 cups dried black beans if soaking and cooking (see crockpot method below) or 3 cups black beans (divided)
- Flax egg: 1 T. ground flaxseed + 3 T. water (mix together and set aside until it gels)
- 1/2 cup brown rice bread crumbs
- 1 carrot, grated (about ½ cup)
- 1/2 t. sea salt
- 1/4 t. each cumin, oregano, garlic powder, turmeric (or favorite spices)
To make crockpot black beans:
- Soak 2 cups of dried black beans overnight in a large bowl or use your crockpot ceramic container, cover and let soak.
- The next day or 8 hours later, drain and rinse black beans really well, remove any damaged beans or excess skin floating in the water.
- Pour beans back into crockpot ceramic. Add enough water to cover beans, then add another inch of water over the beans.
- Add 1 teaspoon dried cumin and turmeric powder.
- Set crockpot to low and allow to cook 6-8 hours, until beans are fully cooked and softened to your liking. Drain excess water, then proceed with recipe below to make fabulous black bean burgers! You will have leftover beans to make extra burgers or for another recipe.
To make black bean burger patties:
- Drain and rinse black beans, set aside in a bowl.
- Measure out 2 cups of black beans and place in food processor, along with brown rice bread crumbs and shredded carrots. Pulse until mostly smooth with some chunks.
- Add flaxmeal and spices, pulse to combine.
- Remove bean mixture from food processor, then combine with 1 cup of whole black beans in a bowl or on a large cutting board and mix with your hands.
- Divide into 4 portions and form 4 burgers with your hands. Make sure burgers are all about the same size so they all cook evenly and at the same rate.
- Place a sheet of foil underneath burgers and grill on medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes — these cook best at a gentle heat.
- Black bean burgers will get crisp on the outside and will be soft on the inside.
- Serve on a gluten-free bun or over a bed of spinach; top with sliced avocado and your favorite burger fixings.
Nutritional info: (1 burger) 200 calories, 1 g fat, 35 carbs, 11 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 12 g protein
Latest posts by Pamela Higgins (see all)
- Lunchbox Makeover: 10 Ideas for Healthier Mid-Day Meals - August 28, 2014
- Matcha Green Tea Smoothie - August 21, 2014
- Gluten-Free Chocolate-Cherry Granola Bites - August 14, 2014