Here’s some news that won’t make you feel blue: July is National Blueberry Month! And that’s berry good news for those of us seeking reasons to share the health benefits of blueberries. An entire cup of blueberries has just 85 calories, and that cupful is overflowing with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber.
Try these blueberry delights to celebrate in style:
- Fresh blueberries are delicious with granola for breakfast. Try UDI’s Gluten-Free Granola Au Naturel, Peace Cereal Granola Cereal French Vanilla or ““ especially ideal for those with a sweet tooth in the morning – Sam Mills Granola Chocolate & Almonds.
- Blueberry herb tea makes a flavorful choice anytime of the day. Try making blueberry iced tea with Celestial Seasonings True Blueberry Herbal Tea. Use several tea bags in a mug of boiling water, steep, and then pour over a pitcher of ice cubes. What to serve with that tea? If you’re on a low-carbohydrate diet like the Atkins plan, try Atkins Day Breakâ„¢ Blueberry Almond Squares. And an option to please the entire family and the health of your heart: yummy Corazonas Food Blueberry Oatmeal Squares, of course.
- How about snack time? Try fresh blueberries topped with plain Greek yogurt for a good-for-your waistline option. On the go? Then go for a blueberry energy bar, such as KIND Plus Antioxidant’s blueberry bars that range from pomegranate blueberry pistachio flavor to blueberry pecan.
- You can’t always find fresh blueberries in the store, which is why we’re in love with Eden Foods Organic Dried Wild Blueberries. These special berries are great to toss into a muffin mix, stir into plain yogurt or use to make your own trail mix with nuts and chocolate chips.
- A smoothie is groovy ““ and a blueberry smoothie is even cooler (no pun intended!). Try using plain or vanilla protein powder, fresh or frozen bluerries and almond milk or soy milk for a shake that’s good for you and delicious. When it comes to protein powders that complement blueberries, consider Jarrow Formulas Unflavored Whey Protein, Vitacost Vanilla Soy Protein Powder or MRM Rich Vanilla Whey Protein Powder.
- What’s for dessert? For something different, mix a small amount of Vitacost 100% Pure Blueberry Juice Concentrate with vanilla ice cream and freeze until the consistency of soft frozen yogurt. Top with fresh blueberries for a summer sensation!
Joanne Eglash, Vitacost.com’s Diet Diva, has a master of science in holistic nutrition and more than 15 years experience as a nutrition consultant, blogger, author and journalist. She has written for a wide range of publications and websites, including ediets.com,Natural Health magazine, Shape magazine, Success magazine, Energy for Women and Chefs. Joanne is currently the national Diets columnist for the online news and entertainment site, Examiner.com, and a features food columnist for Yahoo.
Latest posts by Diet Diva (see all)
- Stay-Healthy Tips for Nibblers and Grazers - September 29, 2014
- 7 Healthy Care Package Ideas for College Students - September 22, 2014
- 3 Simple (and Delicious!) Ways to Serve Shirataki Noodles - September 15, 2014