Tell me what you want, what you really, really want. We’ve all been there: You’re trying to read a book, or pet the cat, or clean the kitchen floor. And you can’t stop thinking about”¦fill in the blank.
For some people, it’s a cookie. Some long for potato chips, while others are ready to scream for ice cream or pudding. And here’s the problem with trying to substitute supposedly healthy foods, like carrots and celery, for those cravings: You can end up eating so much that you actually consume more calories than if you had just one serving of the real deal!
With that in mind, here are our tips for the best foods for satisfying different types of cravings.
Sweet and Crunchy
Is your inner Cookie Monster calling to you? Don’t stress. Respond with a tasty but healthy treat that will satisfy the “Me wants cookie” cravings, such as:
- Pamela’s Products Gluten and Wheat Free Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies provide you with a way to go wheat-free and still have your cookie. The dark chocolate contains antioxidants.
- Have you ever eaten uncooked cookie dough and thought it tasted better than the baked version (shhh, we won’t tell!)? Now you can enjoy that fabulous flavor without the guilt with Quest Nutrition QuestBar Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Protein Bar. And because they’re high in protein, they’ll keep you satisfied longer.
Sweet and Creamy
Dreaming of ice cream or pudding? Love that sweet, creamy stuff but some brands contain corn syrup (eek), while others contain so many calories in just half a cup that you can blow your entire dinner’s calories. Instead, go for:
- Answer to a dieter’s dream: MHP Power Pak Pudding Fit & Lean Dutch Chocolate, with just 100 calories a serving and protein to satisfy you.
- Mori-Nu Mates Chocolate Pudding Mix contains no refined sugar, plus it is vegan. Perfect for those who are lactose intolerant and long to satisfy their pudding cravings.
Chocolate deserves its own category because, let’s face it, nothing really substitutes for chocolate! The secret is to choose a high quality brand, such as:
- We have a new definition of bliss: Vitacost Coconut Super Cacao Bar! It’s good for you, and ohhhh, that flavor.
- High in protein and fiber, Kind bars let you be kind to yourself, especially when they’re made with real chocolate.
Salty and Crunchy
Chips ahoy! Salty, crunchy delicious chips can make you feel mindless as you munch, and munch, and munch and”¦ooops, you did it again! Go for a single portion of truly satisfying, healthy chips:
- Baked rather than fried chips are always a good choice, and they’re an extra-good choice with Kettle Foods.
- Want something different to satisfy your crunch craving? Go for the Garden of Eatin’ organic chips.