Halloween is just around the corner ““ which means little ghosts, princesses and superheroes will be knocking on your door to ask (politely) for a sweet treat.
If you were anything like me as a kid, you probably rolled your eyes a bit when the neighbor dumped a box of raisins or a few pennies into your bag ““ where’s the real candy? But now that I’m all grown up, I hate the thought of giving away a pile of sugar to the kiddos that come to my house.
But are there any healthier (and kid-friendly) alternatives to the standard Halloween candies? Check out these options:
1. Baked Crackers or Chips: Forget the fried, fat-laden chips. Kids love baked crackers and other snacks, and they often come in small one-serving bags that are easy to hand out for Halloween!
2. Nuts or Seeds: While not the first choice for many kids, a small bag of sunflower seeds or almonds can make a nutritious snack.
3. Dried Fruit: We’re not talking about your grandmother’s prunes. Dried (or freeze-dried) fruit comes in many different varieties ““ from apples and cherries to pears and apricots. Look for small, individually packaged bags that are free of added sugars or preservatives.
4. Small Toys: Check out your local party or dollar store for an array of small toys, like colorful pencils, erasers, bubbles, stickers, cars and so much more!
Many of these snacks and toys are not meant for toddlers or babies, so before handing them out, make sure they are age appropriate for the tricker-treaters at your door. Have a safe, happy and healthy Halloween!
Latest posts by Katie (see all)
- Natural Easter Egg Dyes - April 18, 2014
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Switch to Natural Sunscreen - April 13, 2014
- The Ultimate Superfood Smoothie - April 1, 2014