What’s up in the morning? In my house, it’s one kitten, one cat and a whole lot of breakfast demands. The kitten is meowing for his special kitten food; the cat wants to make sure that she’s not forgotten, and I’m juggling their purr-sonalities with my own desire for a cup of coffee ASAP.
But the ideal breakfast contains more than coffee – and my cats may be smarter than many of us humans. Kick-starting your metabolism with a good breakfast can prevent you from giving into desires for mid-morning doughnuts, which can cause blood sugar spikes and sags that lead you to making the wrong and fattening decisions for the rest of the day.
The perfect breakfast contains protein, fats and carbs, whether you whip up a shake or spend time creating an impeccable omelet.
Here are some suggestions for crafting that first meal of the day:
- Coffee symbolizes get-up-and-go power for many of us. Go for a certified organic brand, such as Vitacost Brew Colombian 100% Arabica Certified Organic Ground Coffee.
- For protein, eggs can offer an inexpensive source that fill you up. Make an omelet with Native Forest Organic Sliced Crimini Mushrooms .
- If you don’t like eating a solid breakfast, go for a protein shake. MRM Vanilla whey protein powder offers a tasty option. Or, if you’re a vegan, try Garden of Life.
- A greens drink, like Amazing Grass Green Superfood, is a tasty way to energize first thing in the morning. Just mix into water or juice for the antioxidant equivalent of seven servings of fruits and vegtables!
- Who said that sandwiches are only for lunch? Make an almond butter sandwich with Woodstock Farms almond butter and take it to go.
- Are you really in a rush? Go for an energy bar, such as Quest Nutrition Protein Bars.
Latest posts by Diet Diva (see all)
- 5 Expert Tips for Warding Off Holiday Weight Gain - November 24, 2014
- 4 Ideas for a Healthier Thanksgiving Gravy - November 17, 2014
- What to Eat, What to Skip If You’re Dieting This Thanksgiving - November 10, 2014