One of the most popular trends in the weight loss world offers a new twist on traditional low-carb diets: High-fat, low-carb ketogenic plans. In contrast to the calorie-counting that some diets require, high-fat, low-carb plans involve restricting carbohydrates while enjoying fats and protein. One popular example of a ketogenic diet is the Atkins weight-loss plan. It involves different phases with different levels of carbohydrate restriction.
What’s key to success: Tracking carbohydrates, from veggies to low-carb candy. Most forms of pure protein have zero to two carbohydrates. For guidance on the right number of carbohydrates for you, talk with your personal health care provider.
A sample day might look like this:
- Breakfast: Omelet with ham and mushrooms
- Lunch: Lettuce topped with bleu cheese and chopped chicken
- Dinner: Steak and cauliflower with butter melted on top to replace potatoes
- Snacks: Cheese, nuts, sliced roast beef, low carb candy
Want to fill your cupboard with low-carb foods so you’re prepared? Try these:
- For fish whenever you want, try Crown Prince Albacore Tuna
- Making a stir-fry with leftover chicken or turkey? Try using Vitacost Certified Organic Coconut Oil.
- For snacks, try Atkins Chocolate Peanut Candies
- Lunch or breakfast on the go? Go for Worldwide Sports Nutrition shakes
- What to do when you’re craving carbs? Try a cup of chicken bouillon, such as Better Than Bouillon
Latest posts by Diet Diva (see all)
- 7 Healthy Care Package Ideas for College Students - September 22, 2014
- 3 Simple (and Delicious!) Ways to Serve Shirataki Noodles - September 15, 2014
- 4 Tips for Maintaining Your Weight Loss Success - September 8, 2014