A red and white checked cloth, a wicker basket and”¦wait a second. What are you going to pack for your picnic now that the cheese and crackers you used to snack on before your meal, as well as the deli sandwiches and coleslaw that were your main course, are no longer on the menu? Now that you’re a full-fledged Paleoista, it’s hardly going to be hot dogs on buns with baked beans and macaroni salad!
The good news is it’s actually quite simple to make a paleo-friendly picnic. Here are some simple ideas for make-ahead foods that will work for the whole family at the next summer picnic!
- Grass-fed red meats or free range poultry are easy protein options, either grilled on their own, or cubed and skewered with your vegetables such as onion, bell peppers and zucchini.
- Reinvent your leftovers, too; extra flank steak on top of a bed of Mache lettuce with avocado, strawberries and cashews makes nice, light option or take the leftover chicken, dice it, add some chopped celery, apple & red onion, raisins, curry powder, olive oil, and enjoy a paleo chicken salad atop a bed of steamed broccoli
- Crudite and guacamole make a delicious replacement for chips and dip.
- Cole Slaw. There’s no reason why you can’t make a paleo version of this picnic staple. Skip the vinegar-laden mayo and replace it with a healthy combination of lemon juice and olive oil. Combine finely shredded green cabbage with chopped scallions, shredded carrot, one small diced apple, olive oil and/or flaxseed oil, lemon juice, your favorite fresh herbs and freshly ground pepper in a large, flat bowl, refrigerate and stir occasionally over the next 24 hours. Add some slivered, toasted almonds and garnish with whichever herbs you used in the salad. Serve cold, with your bison burgers in lettuce wraps, and a side of fresh, grilled pineapple.
- Grill peaches and pineapple ahead of time and cool. Those, along with frozen grapes, offer a naturally sweet finish to the meal.
Bring along plenty of flat or sparkling water and you’ll have a meal everyone is sure to enjoy!
Latest posts by Paleoista (see all)
- Are Protein Products OK to Eat If You’re Following a Paleo Diet? - April 21, 2015
- Tips for Snacking Healthy on a Paleo Diet - April 7, 2015
- Should Your Pet Follow a Paleo Diet? - October 3, 2013