Muffins are a delicious way to start the day. The cooler weather is bringing them back into my kitchen. This version isn’t excessively sweet (in an effort to keep sugar cravings in check), but is full of flavor and filling with protein and fiber-rich ingredients.
These muffins are great for the holidays too — bring a basket-full to someone’s home for brunch or enjoy one on Sunday morning with your favorite cup of tea.
Pumpkin Raspberry Muffins (grain free, gluten free, dairy free)
- 2 cups garbanzo and fava bean flour
- 1 + 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine ground sea salt
- 1/2 T. ground flaxseed mixed with 1 ½ T. water (optional, will make muffins more fluffy)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin organic coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup organic grade A maple syrup
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a muffin tin with baking cups.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt in a large bowl.
- Mix together flax and water in a small cup, allow to gel for 5 minutes.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: melted coconut oil, egg, maple syrup, pumpkin, and raspberries.
- Add flax/water to wet ingredients bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients in with dry ingredients and mix to combine. (**Note: batter will be relatively thick.)
- Pour about 1/3 cup of batter in each muffin cup.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
- Enjoy with a spoonful of coconut oil or pumpkin seed butter on top!
Yield: 12 regular-size muffins (Go ahead and make multiple batches at once — muffins freeze very well!)
Nutritional info (per muffin): 211 calories, 11 grams fat, 4 grams protein, 12 grams sugar