Rich in omega-3s, fiber and iron, this entrÃ©e-sized salad makes four generous portions. Best of all, you’ll be able to whip together dinner in 20 minutes (or less!).
Salmon, Couscous & Chickpea Salad
2 wild-caught salmon fillets
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 large shallot
1 large cucumber
1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas or 1 1/2 cup dry chickpeas (soaked)
1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil (1-2 Tbsp.)
1. Turn skillet onto medium-high; add half the olive oil.
2. Place 1-1/4 cups water in small pot; bring to a boil.
3. Slice one large shallot.
4. Rinse chickpeas.
5. When water is boiling, add couscous; remove from heat and cover.
6. Sprinkle salt, pepper and dill on one side of salmon; place spiced side down in hot skillet and sprinkle salt, pepper and dill on side facing up. Add shallot to plan.
7. While shallot is cooking, dice cucumbers and tomatoes and combine with chickpeas.
9. Flip salmon, wait another 3 minutes (test for doneness after 3 minutes””if a little underdone, it will cook on its way to the table).
10. Fluff couscous with a fork and re-cover.
11. Toss salad with a splash of olive oil, half the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
13. Remove salmon from heat and sprinkle with the rest of the lemon juice.
14. Pour couscous onto a platter, place salmon on top and pour juices and shallots over everything.
Latest posts by Jorie (see all)
- 4 Ways to Protect Baby’s Skin During the Harsh Winter Weather - December 22, 2014
- 5 Ways to Tell Your Toddler’s Napping Career is Over - December 15, 2014
- Gluten-Free Cinnamon-Apple Latkes - December 8, 2014