If you’re seeking a way to (literally) spice up your health and weight loss, meet your secret weapons: Spices. First, let’s talk about the hot way to weigh less: capsaicin, the ingredient that puts the heat into hot peppers. In one study, UCLA researchers discovered that hot chili peppers could boost the calorie burn of obese patients about 80 extra calories a day. Other studies have shown that peppers can help curb appetite during meals.
Try them in a variety of ways:
- Jazz up omelets and salads with Mediterranean Organic Gourmet Fire Roasted Red Peppers
- Sprinkle Organicville Sky Valley Sriracha Sauce over brown rice
- Make your own salad dressing and add a dash of Melinda’s Original Habanero Pepper Sauce to the mix
- For a slimming yet filling dinner, make a big bowl of steamed vegetables and top them with salsa rather than butter or cheese, such as Muir Glen Organic Salsa
Now let’s talk ginger. This sizzling spice can be a panacea for pregnancy, car sickness and that “ugh, I ate too much” feeling. It’s also warming and soothing on a cold, dreary day. Try using ginger in different forms:
- Going on a car trip, plane ride or boat excursion and know you’re prone to getting nauseated? Take ginger chews , such as Reed’s Ginger Chews, with you
- Keep ginger herb tea, such as Yogi Ginger Herb Tea, in the house for a queasy stomach or a soothing beverage on a cold, rainy day
- Add zing to your salads with zero calories by using Walden Farms Calorie-Free Sesame Ginger salad dressing.