Who doesn’t love a mid-week Mexican fiesta? Make yours vegan and gluten free with this creative quesadilla, stuffed with sautéed veggies, dairy-free “cheese” and brown rice (not whole wheat!) tortillas. Don’t worry about deep-frying dangers, either. This festive favorite is lightly browned in heart-friendly olive oil for the perfect crispy coating to all the veggielicious goodness inside.
1 brown rice tortilla
3 Tbsp. shredded vegan cheese
1/3 cup mushrooms
1/3 cup spinach
1/3 cup yellow and orange bell peppers
2 green onions, diced
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Optional: ½ tsp. ground chipotle powder
1/3 avocado, diced
3-4 cherry tomatoes, sliced
1-2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped (or 2 Tbsp. fresh pico de gallo)
1. Saute mushrooms, spinach, onions and peppers in a little olive oil.
2. In a separate pan, lightly oil brown rice tortilla and add cheese, then add sautÃ©ed veggies. Fold over tortilla and brown on both sides until cheese melts.
3. Season with avocado, cherry tomatoes and fresh cilantro or pico de gallo.
“Mo’s Healthy Morsels” is written by Maura (“Mo”) Knowles, a certified health coach, recipe developer and owner of Mac-n-Mo’s, a vegan baked goods company created by Knowles to help her dad eat better (and still enjoy food!) after he underwent quadruple bypass surgery in 2010. Knowles’ recipes for snacks, treats and other fun and healthy dishes appear every week here on the Vitacost blog, or visit Mo on Facebook or www.macnmos.com for more “morselicious” ideas and tips.
Latest posts by Mo, the Morselist (see all)
- Porcini Mushroom Dressing - October 15, 2014
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice French Toast - October 8, 2014
- Kid-Friendly Fall Recipe: Fruit & Nut Stuffed Apples - October 1, 2014