Low-carb dieting means good snack foods are often scarce. (How many handfuls of nuts and mini-trays of Greek yogurt can one person eat?!) Keep your taste buds entertained and your daily carb count low with these crispy, baked cheese “chips.” Loaded with protein and calcium, they’re quick to make and can be customized easily with herbs and spices.
Low-Carb Snack: Baked Homemade Cheese Crisps
What you’ll need:
Hard cheese of choice (cheddar, asagio, parmesan, Mexican blend, etc.), shredded
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper (do not use aluminum foil!).
- Drop a tablespoon of shredded cheese into piles; space piles 2 inches apart.
- Bake cheese approximately 10-15 minutes.
- When edges are browned/golden, remove baking sheet from oven.
- Let crisps cool for 10-15 minutes. Use a butter knife to loosen if crisps stick to parchment paper.
Spicy Cheese Crisps
Add ½ teaspoon of taco seasoning to 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Prepare crisps as indicated above.
Cheese & Fruit
Prepare crisps using mild cheddar cheese. Top with low-calorie apricot fruit spread.
Italian-Style Cheese Crisps
(Great on salads!)
Toss together 1 teaspoon of rosemary, ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper and 1 cup of finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Prepare crisps as indicated above.
Party Cheese Strips
Slice 10-oz block of Gruyere cheese into thin strips. Arrange strips on parchment paper and top with caraway seeds, sesame seeds, black pepper and chopped almonds. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes until cheese starts to bubble.
Latest posts by Mrs. Fitness (see all)
- Is It Time to Switch Up Your Workout? - October 28, 2014
- Fall Fitness: 6 Creative Ways to Exercise Outdoors - October 21, 2014
- 9 Must-Have Products for Personal Trainers - October 16, 2014