Part of following a clean-eating diet is eating fewer processed foods, including those grab-and-go bars and shakes you rely on for morning or mid-day fuel. Don’t worry. Snacking healthy doesn’t mean you’re stuck at home—or that you have to spend a ton of time prepping before heading out for the day. Bake up a batch of oven-roasted chickpeas—sweet or spicy, your choice!—for a whole food snack that’s easy to make, portable and packed with protein.
1. Preheat oven 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Spread chickpeas on baking sheet in a single layer. Cook for about 45 minutes or until crispy.
3. While chickpeas are roasting, mix together remaining ingredients.
4. Toss roasted chickpeas with honey mixture as soon as they’re removed from the oven. (Note: You can eat them like this, or return to the oven for another 10 minutes to seal in the flavor.)
Lemon Zest Chickpeas
1. Preheat over 425 degrees
2. Pat the chickpeas with a paper towel to dry. Spread the olive oil on baking sheet, then add the chickpeas, rolling in oil to coat. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper and toss well, keeping chickpeas in a single layer.
3. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip and toss chickpeas and continue baking another 15 minutes until crisp.
4. Remove from the oven and place in a bowl, sprinkle with the lemon zest and toss evenly. Allow to cool before eating.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Toss chickpeas to coat.
3. Transfer coated chickpeas to a baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes, tossing several times during roasting. Bake until blackened and crunchy.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In medium-sized bowl, whisk together olive oil and all spices. Add chickpeas and coat evenly, then spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
3. Bake for 45 minutes tossing several times during roasting. Cook until slightly crispy and browned.