Nobody’s perfect. And with all the advice floating out there about skincare, it’s hard to know what you should and shouldn’t be doing. We’ve gathered up the 6 most common skincare sins – with some tips on how to avoid these mistakes altogether!
6. Exfoliating too much. A little exfoliation is good – and necessary – to help remove dead skin cells and reveal a softer, smoother surface. But overdoing it can damage delicate skin, causing unsightly rough patches, dryness and irritation. Tip: Make your own gentle skin scrub with coconut oil and organic sugar.
5. Not drinking enough water. If you’re not drinking water regularly, your skin may already be showing signs of dehydration — dullness, dry spots and even (ugh!) wrinkles. Tip: Keep a reusable water bottle on hand to help you stay hydrated.
4. Skipping the cleanser. It’s late, you’re tired. Do you really have to wash your face before bed? The answer is a resounding, “yes!” Sleeping with a face full of makeup can not only clog your pores, it can extend your exposure to pollutants and free radicals absorbed by the products on your face. Tip: Keep facial wipes handy for quick clean-ups with no sink required.
3. Not eating enough “skin” foods. You are what you eat – give your skin what it craves by eating plenty of colorful fruits and veggies, which are chock-full of vitamins and free-radical-fighting polyphenols. Other skin superfoods include walnuts (a source of vitamin E) and salmon (packed with essential fatty acids).
2. Piling on unnecessary products. If your beauty routine involves more products than you can count on two hands, it’s time to simplify things. You can keep your complexion clear, radiant and youthful-looking with just a few essentials: a gentle cleanser, lightweight moisturizer and nutrient-rich serum. The same goes for cosmetics – using too many products can clog pores and increase your risk of irritation. Tip: To further consolidate your skincare regimen, look for multi-tasking products, such as 2-in-1 moisturizing serum.
And the most common skincare mistakes people are making is…
1. Forgetting sunscreen. If you thought you only needed to slather on sunscreen during the summer, you’re exposing your skin to unnecessary hazards. Yep – even when it’s 26 degrees and cloudy, your skin is still susceptible to damage caused by harmful UV rays. Tip: Use a daily moisturizer with added SPF protection.
The Beauty Boss blogs are compiled by our staff editors Rebecca Chopin and Katie Kaleita, who work closely with the Vitacost.com beauty department experts to bring you the most relevant, up-to-date information on natural beauty and anti-aging tips and trends.
Latest posts by The Beauty Boss (see all)
- 8 Amazing Pumpkin Beauty Products - September 27, 2014
- Gluten-Free Skin & Body Care: What You Need to Know - September 26, 2014
- DIY Makeup: Homemade Natural Foundation - September 23, 2014