It’s well-known that our obsession with white refined sugar is not so good for us. Excessive amounts can contribute to weight gain and a host of other health concerns. The great news is that there are a bunch of great-tasting, natural sugar alternatives to use in your everyday cooking, baked goodies and sweetened drinks.
You don’t have to give up sweets, but you can do your part to spread the gift of health by hosting a sugar swap party for friends, family”¦maybe your entire neighborhood! Educate and empower
Here’s how to get started:
- Invite everyone you know who needs a pantry makeover.
- Tell invitees they must bring 1 prepared recipe made with a white sugar substitute.
- Provide a list of healthier sugar substitutes: Manuka honey, organic agave nectar or stevia.
- Create take-home cards with a blurb about the health benefits of using natural sugar alternatives. (See sample card to the right.)
- On the day of the party, everyone must have a prepared recipe and the recipe written down to hand out.
- Set up a buffet with the dishes and recipe cards next to their corresponding food.
- Direct attendees to walk through the buffet line, choosing foods to try.
- Encourage everyone to pick up a recipe card next to their favorite treats so they can recreate these healthier versions at home.
Your friends will see that it’s easy to still eat healthy and enjoy foods that are sweetened naturally.