Better bagels, tastier toast—a swipe of jam brings joy no matter what it tops. But the sugary, syrupy kind from the supermarket comes with a hint of guilt that should never hinder your efforts to eat more fruit. With this recipe, you get the wholesomeness of perfect, plump blueberries in spreadable form without any of the worry. All-natural stevia is used as a sweetener, and chia seeds create a luscious thickness while adding extra protein, fiber and omega-3s.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat blueberries to a low boil for 3 to 5 minutes, mashing blueberries with a fork constantly as they cook down.
- When halfway cooked down, lower heat to a simmer, add stevia and stir.
- Add chia seeds and mix thoroughly.
- Let jam simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often. (Note: Jam will thicken as it cooks.)
- Remove jam from heat and transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to two weeks.
*The amount of chia seeds required will depend on the water content of the berries. Try adding 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to reach your desired consistency. For thicker jam, use more chia seeds.