Oh no! It’s almost 6 p.m., you haven’t even thought about dinner and the hungry crowd on the couch is getting restless. Luckily, all you need is 30 minutes to throw together this simple stir-fry, loaded with veggies and whatever protein (chicken, shrimp or tofu) you have on hand. Serve it with steamed rice or noodles, and you’ve got a nutritious, filling meal your family will love.
30-Minute Stir-Fry Dinner
Medium onion, thinly sliced
1 carrot, cut into rounds or on the diagonal
1 head broccoli, chopped
1.2 red pepper, thinly sliced
½ green pepper, thinly sliced
8 mushrooms, sliced
Optional: frozen peas, canned baby corn, other veggies of choice
Protein options: chicken or beef, thinly sliced; shrimp; extra-firm tofu, cubed
2 Tbsp. olive oil (or oil of choice)
2 cloves garlic, chopped or spare the work and use 1 tsp. jarred chopped garlic
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar or Mirin rice cooking wine
Dash of black pepper
1. Cook rice according to package directions.
2. In large wok or frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables in order listed above. Stir frequently as veggies cook.
3. If using chicken or beef, add when onions are added. If using shrimp, add with the peppers. If using tofu, add with the mushrooms.
4. Once the softest vegetable has been added, add garlic, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and pepper.
5. Continue cooking until vegetables and tender and meat is done (or tofu is browned).
Latest posts by Dana Zucker (see all)
- A Very Vegan Passover - April 14, 2014
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – With Healthy Substitutions - September 24, 2013
- Raw Pumpkin-Cranberry Crumble - September 17, 2013