The simmering of soy sauce, sesame oil and ginger transport us to the far eastern corner of the globe ““ which is exactly how these Asian-inspired lettuce wraps so graciously honor the Chinese New Year. You’ll find all those familiar flavors sautÃ©ed into mixed veggies and protein-packed tofu. Whether you’re celebrating this momentous day or gearing up for a socially slammed weekend of your own, this low-carb dish is a light and delicious way to kick things off.
Recipe courtesy of Margaret Clemente
Prep Time: 20 minutes
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. sambal oelek (Asian chili paste)
2 tsp. ginger powder or grated fresh ginger root
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. rice vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
6 oz. firm tofu, drained, pressed and diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 cups chopped mushrooms
Head of lettuce (Romaine, green leaf, red leaf or Boston)
1. Place serving plates or bowls in the refrigerator to chill.
2. In small bowl, whisk soy sauce, sesame oil, chili paste, ginger, sugar, rice vinegar and garlic; set aside.
3. Heat oil in a non-stick, 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and cook until light brown, stirring constantly (2-3 minutes).
4. Add mushrooms and red pepper; stir frequently until tender, about 3-4 more minutes. Transfer mixture to a towel-lined plate and blot.
5. Add soy sauce mixture and warm over medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tofu, mushroom and red pepper mixture and mix thoroughly. Cook until sauce reduces slightly, about 2-3 minutes.
Spoon several tablespoons of the mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf. Serve in a chilled bowl or on a chilled plate. Enjoy!
Margaret is the over-protective mother of Vitacost.com’s resident millennial and VitaBlog contributor, @HeyAndrewDavis