You’ve probably eaten them dried, or maybe even candied. But fresh is the best way to enjoy figs, a slightly sweet and juicy fruit with a light, summery taste somewhat like peaches and strawberries combined. Here they’re paired with honey and a splash of balsamic vinegar over tender, baked chicken, with colorful cherry tomatoes tossed in for extra savory flavor.
Baked Chicken with Figs & Honey
4 fresh figs, quartered
2 lbs. chicken tenders or breasts, boneless/skinless
1 large yellow onion, sliced
1 cup cherry tomatoes
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. fresh basil
Herbal seasoning, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. S. Spray 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Arrange slices of onion in bottom of pan. Place chicken tenders on onions and sprinkle with seasoning.
- Arrange figs, cherry tomatoes and basil on chicken tenders.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, honey and balsamic vinegar; pour mixture over figs/chicken. Top with basil leaves.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked (Note: Increase baking time if using breasts rather than tenders.)
Latest posts by Amy Clevenger (see all)
- Spaghetti Squash & Turkey Meatballs with Spicy Sauce - March 2, 2015
- Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie - February 23, 2015
- Quinoa Pasta Mac and Cheese - February 16, 2015