You’ve probably eaten them dried, or maybe even candied. But fresh is the best way to enjoy figs, a slightly sweet and juicy fruit with a light, summery taste somewhat like peaches and strawberries combined. Here they’re paired with honey and a splash of balsamic vinegar over tender, baked chicken, with colorful cherry tomatoes tossed in for extra savory flavor.
Baked Chicken with Figs & Honey
4 fresh figs, quartered
2 lbs. chicken tenders or breasts, boneless/skinless
1 large yellow onion, sliced
1 cup cherry tomatoes
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. fresh basil
Herbal seasoning, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. S. Spray 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
2. Arrange slices of onion in bottom of pan. Place chicken tenders on onions and sprinkle with seasoning.
3. Arrange figs, cherry tomatoes and basil on chicken tenders.
4. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, honey and balsamic vinegar; pour mixture over figs/chicken. Top with basil leaves.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked (Note: Increase baking time if using breasts rather than tenders.)