Meat and cheese don’t have to be the main ingredients in a casserole. This baked beauty is made with a base of gluten-free corn polenta, topped by a hearty mix of mushrooms, artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes and kale. To make it vegan, skip that typical final layer of shredded cheese and drizzle on cashew cream instead!
1 cup cooked polenta or already baked ““ low sodium
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, diced and soaked in warm water
1 (14 oz.) artichoke hearts in water
2 cloves garlic, diced and separated
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/3 cup cashew cream (get the recipe here!)
2 cups shredded kale
2 cups mushrooms
1/2 onion, diced
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Red wine vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly oil a glass casserole dish. Spread cooked polenta evenly in dish.
2. In a small bowl, mix cashew cream with nutritional yeast; set aside.
3. Lightly saute one garlic clove in olive oil until a fragrant aroma emits; remove from heat. Add to soaking sun-dried tomatoes.
4. Saute mushrooms, onion and remaining garlic clove in olive oil with red wine vinegar. Remove from heat.
5. Spread alternating layers of sundried tomatoes/garlic, artichoke hearts, kale, mushrooms and basil over polenta. Sprinkle with pepper and add a top layer of cashew cream/nutritional yeast.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes, until bubbly.
“Mo’s Healthy Morsels” is written by Maura (“Mo”) Knowles, a certified health coach, recipe developer and owner of Mac-n-Mo’s, a vegan baked goods company created by Knowles to help her dad eat better (and still enjoy food!) after he underwent quadruple bypass surgery in 2010. Knowles’ recipes for snacks, treats and other fun and healthy dishes appear every week here on the Vitacost blog, or visit Mo on Facebook or www.macnmos.com for more “morselicious” ideas and tips.