Meat and cheese don’t have to be the main ingredients in a casserole. This baked beauty is made with a base of gluten-free corn polenta, topped by a hearty mix of mushrooms, artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes and kale. To make it vegan, skip that typical final layer of shredded cheese and drizzle on cashew cream instead!
1 cup cooked polenta or already baked–low sodium
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, diced and soaked in warm water
1 (14 oz.) artichoke hearts in water
2 cloves garlic, diced and separated
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/3 cup cashew cream (get the recipe here!)
2 cups shredded kale
2 cups mushrooms
1/2 onion, diced
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly oil a glass casserole dish. Spread cooked polenta evenly in dish.
- In a small bowl, mix cashew cream with nutritional yeast; set aside.
- Lightly saute one garlic clove in olive oil until a fragrant aroma emits; remove from heat. Add to soaking sun-dried tomatoes.
- Saute mushrooms, onion and remaining garlic clove in olive oil with red wine vinegar. Remove from heat.
- Spread alternating layers of sundried tomatoes/garlic, artichoke hearts, kale, mushrooms and basil over polenta. Sprinkle with pepper and add a top layer of cashew cream/nutritional yeast.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until bubbly.