Black is the new green when it comes to healthy pasta. Set aside that spinach-infused spaghetti and get ready to twirl a darker, more nutrient-dense noodle on your fork. Gluten free and low in fat, black bean pasta is made from just two ingredients: black beans and water. It’s tender and chewy, like other pastas cooked al dente, but it packs in a ton of protein—25 grams per 2-ounce serving (compared to about grams in the regular kind). Here it’s topped with a turkey and veggie mix spiked with spice for a dinner you won’t forget!
Black Bean Spaghetti With Spicy Turkey Sauce
1 pkg. black bean pasta
2 cups natural marinara sauce
1-1/4 lbs. lean ground turkey
1 tsp. Italian seasoning, to taste
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
Herbal seasoning, to taste
2 bell peppers, chopped (I used yellow and orange)
2 zucchinis, chopped
½ yellow or red onion, sliced
½ jalapeno pepper
- In a large pan over medium heat, sauté veggies in coconut oil until cooked.
- In separate pan, cook turkey until pink color disappears and meat is cooked through.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- When turkey is cooked, add marinara sauce, Italian and herbal seasonings and red pepper flakes; bring to a simmer.
- Add turkey/sauce to pasta; toss and serve.