Food is everywhere during the holidays. If you’re like everyone else, you don’t want to miss out on the fun treats all around. To avoid overindulging, it’s a good idea to keep plenty of delicious and nutritious snacks on hand. That way, you’ll feel satisfied without suffering the sugar crash that sends you back to the platter for more cookies 20 minutes after the first splurge!
Even with food around all of the time, it’s best to eat only when you’re hungry. If you choose to have one of those delicious homemade cookies, be sure to enjoy it fully without guilt, just keep portions in check and the rest of the time enjoy these healthy snack suggestions:
- Sliced apple with creamy fresh avocado (a new favorite of mine!)
- Sweet potato fries (Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes) tossed with coconut oil and pumpkin pie spice
- Applesauce mixed with cacao powder, ground flaxseed, and 1 drop of stevia
- Banana sliced lengthwise and drizzled with sunbutter and a sprinkle of Enjoy Life chips
- Cacao-Maca Protein Balls (recipe below)
Also remember to stay hydrated with filtered water or herbal tea.
Cacao-Maca Protein Balls
I love a tasty dessert, and this one isn’t so heavy that it weighs you down. They also make a great on-the-go treat. The rich cacao, raw honey, and goji berries makes them healthy!
1 cup pumpkin seeds (or sunflower seeds)
2 Tbsp. flax meal or ground chia seeds
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
2 Tbsp. raw honey (raw and local is best)
2 Tbsp. dried goji berries
2 Tbsp. organic cacao powder
1 Tbsp. organic maca powder
1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until seeds and berries are well chopped.
2. Use a tablespoon to scoop out batter. Shape batter into balls. (Tip: Wet hands with water before shaping balls to help them stay together.)
3. Refrigerate or freeze balls until chilled. Delicious served with a bowl of seasonal fruit!