Drizzled on fruit, swirled into coffee, spread on a warm muffin–cashew cream is a dairy-free delight you can dollop atop just about anything, without guilt! Made from just two ingredients–raw cashews and water–simply adjust the liquid for a thinner (“milk-like”) or thicker (“frosting-like”) cream. Drop in some vanilla, coconut, almond or even mint extract for a flavor twist on the natural, nutty taste!
Makes about 3 cups
2 cups raw cashews
1. Place cashews in a glass jar or bowl. Cover with cool water and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
2. Drain water and rinse cashews. Place cashews in a blender or food processor and add about one cup of fresh, cool water. (Note: Use less water–about ¼ cup””for a thicker consistency, like frosting. Use more water–about 3 cups–for a thinner consistency, like milk. Using 1 cup will create a heavy cream that can be drizzled on desserts or fruit.)
3. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
4 Great Ways to Kick Up Cashew Cream
3. Electrify your sandwich with a spicy/savory cashew cream spread: Add 1 to 1 tsp. of wasabi powder or pepper (black, red or both!).
4. Pizza, anyone? Make a cashew “cheese”: Add ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Latest posts by Mo, the Morselist (see all)
- Porcini Mushroom Dressing - October 15, 2014
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice French Toast - October 8, 2014
- Kid-Friendly Fall Recipe: Fruit & Nut Stuffed Apples - October 1, 2014