If you’re craving warm garlic bread sticks, but reaching into the bread basket at your favorite Italian restaurant isn’t how you “roll,” you’re in luck. Cauliflower takes the place of flour in this healthy recipe, and vegan cheese is a nutritious, lower-fat substitute for mozzarella. You’ll get all the flavor of your favorite appetizer–without the carbs!
Cauliflower “Bread” Sticks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grate cauliflower using hand grater or food processor.
- Place grated cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl or steamer; cook until tender (approx 5 minutes in the microwave, 15 in the steamer). Let cool, then place in cheesecloth or paper towels and squeeze excess moisture. (Note: Moisture must be removed otherwise breadsticks will be grainy and fall apart easily. Cauliflower will start to appear yellow.)
- Add garlic and herb seasoning, minced garlic, ½ cup vegan cheese and egg whites; mix very well to dough-like consistency.
- Pour mixture into a 7×11 rimmed baking sheet lined it with non-stick foil. Use spoon to evenly spread dough to all corners, making sure it’s even.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Remove from bread sticks from oven.
- Flip over entire contents of baking sheet onto another foil-lined 7×11 rimmed baking sheet. (Note: Just grab corners of foil, lift and turn the dough onto the second baking sheet. Be careful!)
- Place bread sticks back in oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove, add remaining cheese and additional seasoning and cook for 5 more minutes to melt cheese.