So much quinoa, so few prep ideas. Sound familiar? If you’ve bought a box of this nutty-tasting, ancient grain and aren’t sure what to do after fluffing the finished potful with a fork, let this recipe lead the way. Stir in chewy cherries, tender pistachios and chunks of protein-packed chicken for an elegant yet easy-to-make side dish, which can be served warm or chilled.
Cherry-Pistachio & Chicken Quinoa Salad
Makes 4 servings
1-3/4 cup quinoa
2-1/2 cups water
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 cup pistachios
1 cup dried cherries
2 chicken breasts (boneless), chopped
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 medium shallot, diced
½ tsp. kosher salt
½ cup dry white wine
¼ cup flat parsley leaves
- In large skillet, combine chicken, garlic, shallots, salt and white wine; cook until chicken is done and no longer pink.
- While chicken cooks, heat water in medium-sized saucepan until boiling; add quinoa and reduce heat to simmer. Cook quinoa for 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- In small bowl, whisk together olive oil and lemon juice; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine cooked chicken mixture (including pan juice) and quinoa; stir to combine. Stir in cherries, pistachios and parsley.
- Pour lemon juice/olive oil mixture over salad; stir to combine.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Latest posts by Amy Clevenger (see all)
- Homemade Holiday Gift: Spiced Honey Nuts - December 15, 2014
- Oven-Baked Haddock With Spicy Moroccan Green Pepper Sauce - December 8, 2014
- Italian Chicken Sausage Stuffed Shells - December 1, 2014