This recipe combines nonfat Greek yogurt with organic pumpkin puree and whole-wheat pasta for a creamy, decadent dinner that’s surprisingly low-fat and cooks in under 15 minutes. The ingredients below are for a single serving; simply multiply to serve additional family members. For an even lower-calorie version of this meal, serve over spaghetti squash instead of pasta.
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
½ cup organic canned pumpkin
2 oz. nonfat Greek yogurt, plain
1 ½ tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup chopped yellow onions or shallots
½ clove garlic or ½ teaspoon minced garlic
Dash of crushed red pepper (optional)
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
¼ tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
2 oz. whole wheat pasta (fusilli or rotini)
Optional: sprig of fresh rosemary for garnish
1. Boil water for pasta.
2. In sautÃ© pan, cook chopped onions or shallots and garlic in olive oil. Simmer on low, then slowly mix in Greek yogurt, pumpkin puree, sea salt and spices. Add Parmesan cheese last.
3. Drain pasta and place in bowl, then mix in sauce. Enjoy!
Nutrition data: 362 calories, 56 grams of carbohydrates, 11 grams of fat, 15 grams of protein.
Jorie Mark is Vitacost.com’s Director of Marketing Communications and mom to three kids, ages 2 to 10.
Latest posts by Jorie (see all)
- 5 Ways to Tell Your Toddler’s Napping Career is Over - December 15, 2014
- Gluten-Free Cinnamon-Apple Latkes - December 8, 2014
- Our 4 Best Natural Remedies for Kid Coughs - December 1, 2014