Comfort foods have a purpose: to warm your belly and put a smile on your face. Too bad they later leave you feeling bloated, sleepy and far from satisfied. Luckily, you can find comfort in a re-imagined childhood favorite that’s low in fat but as creamy and rich in flavor as the original. Yes, Mac ‘n’ No Cheese sounds far from the norm, but it will blow the full-fat recipe out of its processed pasta water.
Easy Mac ‘n No Cheese
1 package shirataki noodles*
1-1/8 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
4 oz. (2 pieces) chopped kabocha squash, skin removed
1/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese (or soft tofu for vegan version)
1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1/8 tsp. minced garlic
Topping: chopped raw cashews or chopped chicken
- Follow instructions on package to prepare pasta.
- In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients except cashews and blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce over pasta, stir and top with cashews or chicken.
(Note: For vegan version, use tofu instead of cottage cheese. You will probably have extra sauce. I like to save mine for another meal!)
Latest posts by Amy Clevenger (see all)
- Homemade Holiday Gift: Spiced Honey Nuts - December 15, 2014
- Oven-Baked Haddock With Spicy Moroccan Green Pepper Sauce - December 8, 2014
- Italian Chicken Sausage Stuffed Shells - December 1, 2014