Glossy, plump and purple eggplants traditionally are cooked by frying. But if you’re aiming to eat healthy, here’s a better way to use those nutritious beauties. This recipe combines thick eggplant slices with low-calorie mushrooms, salt-free spices and vitamin-C-rich tomatoes for a filling and delicious meat-free main dish. For a gourmet finish, sprinkle on vegan Parmesan cheese.
Easy Vegan Eggplant Casserole
1/2 eggplant, sliced
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
12 oz. unsalted diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. garlic
1/2 tsp. basil
Vegan Parmesan cheese
1 cup cooked brown rice
Optional: fresh bails or herbs of choice for topping
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In microwave-safe bowl, combine eggplant and mushrooms; microwave for three minutes. Mix in tomatoes and spices; cook for an additional minute.
3. Spoon cooked brown rice into casserole dish. Top with eggplant mixture. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese, if desired, on top.
4. Bake casserole in oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
Latest posts by Diet Diva (see all)
- 4 Ideas for a Healthier Thanksgiving Gravy - November 17, 2014
- What to Eat, What to Skip If You’re Dieting This Thanksgiving - November 10, 2014
- 5 Ways to Savor Fall Flavor (and Cut Calories!) With Spices - November 3, 2014