Pancakes are a special Saturday or Sunday morning treat for families too busy to fuss with “homemade” on hectic weekday mornings. This recipe lets you enjoy a stack without the junk that fills frozen or “quick mix” varieties””but that’s not all. These Flax Jacks were created especially for my diabetic dad, Mac, who desperately missed the amazing taste of many of his favorite foods when they became off limits after his quadruple bypass surgery in 2010.
To keep Dad happy and healthy, I camped out in my kitchen, coming up with as many “morselicious” treats (vegan, low carb and free of cholesterol, sugar, sodium and gluten) as I could. My company, Mac-n-Mo’s, was born, and now Dad””and anyone else craving yummy snacks, meals and more””can indulge without worry! In honor of Father’s Day, here is one of my dad’s favorite breakfasts!
Flax Jacks for Mac
Makes 1-2 (triple recipe for larger batch)
2 Tbsp. gluten-free baking mix
2 Tbsp. flax meal + 2 Tbsp. chia seeds mixed with 1 cup water (stir well, let sit for two minutes)
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. maca powder
Suggested topping: Vegan Nutty Protein Spread
1. Combine all ingredients; mix well.
2. Pour batter onto skillet/pan lightly oiled with coconut oil over medium heat. Flip when bubbles form around edges and cook until golden brown.
Some words of wisdom from my dad, Mac
- A Father is someone you look up to no matter how tall you grow.
- Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad.
- You are your own worst enemy and your own best advocate!
- Don’t try to keep up with the Jones’ “¦ we’re the Knowles’!
- No matter what you know, where you got your education, how much money you make, remember it’s therelationships you have with people that will get you far in life.
- It never hurts to ask! Just ask.
- Honor your father and mother.
- Be grateful and always have a sense of humor””life is too short!
Happy Father’s Day!
“Mo’s Healthy Morsels” is written by Maura (“Mo”) Knowles, a certified health coach, recipe developer and owner of Mac-n-Mo’s, a vegan baked goods company created by Knowles to help her dad eat better (and still enjoy food!) after he underwent quadruple bypass surgery in 2010. Knowles’ recipes for snacks, treats and other fun and healthy dishes appear every week here on the Vitacost blog, or visit Mo on Facebook or www.macnmos.com for more “morselicious” ideas and tips.