You have good intentions, but sometimes your plan for packing healthy, homemade lunches gets lost in the morning shuffle. What’s the solution? Make a big pot of comforting soup to divvy up into daily portions! This recipe features protein-packed red lentils and an array of flavorful spices to take your “leftover” lunches to a whole new level — and keep you satisfied until dinnertime.
Gingery Red Lentil & Carrot Soup (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
Makes 9 cups
1 pound carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
4 cups water or vegetable broth
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
2 Tbsp. grated or ground ginger
1 tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. each: cumin, cinnamon, turmeric
1 cup red lentils, soaked in water for 1 hour then drained and rinsed well
- In large pot, sauté carrots, celery and onion in coconut oil for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, salt and spices. Stir with veggies for 30 seconds.
- Pour in water or broth, bring to boil, then turn down to simmer 10 minutes.
- Add red lentils, simmer an additional 15 minutes until lentils are softened.
Latest posts by Pamela Higgins (see all)
- Butternut Squash & Apple Soup - October 23, 2014
- 3 Tricks for Celebrating a Healthier Halloween - October 16, 2014
- Chicory Latte with Dairy-Free Pumpkin Milk “Cream” - October 9, 2014