There’s no sweeter way to celebrate Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, than with this gluten-free honey cake. Made with almond flour, a gluten-free alternative to traditional wheat-based flours, it’s not only OK for everyone to enjoy, it’s infused with natural, nutty flavor. Before serving, drizzle on extra honey and sprinkle with lightly toasted almonds””yum! Thinly sliced apples also make a nice finishing touch.
Gluten-Free Honey-Almond Cake
Serves 4 to 6
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In large bowl, beat 4 egg yolks with honey, vanilla, baking soda and salt (I hand-beat with a whisk). Add almond flour by gently turning in until all ingredients are combined.
3. Beat egg whites in a separate bowl using a handheld mixer until doubled (about 1-2 minutes–peaks not needed). Fold egg whites into cake mixture.
4. Pour mixture into a greased Springform pan (9″ works great), with parchment in bottom. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and let cool.
5. When ready to serve, drizzle with honey and sprinkle almonds and a little salt on top. If desired, add very thinly sliced apples, more honey and more almonds.
Happy New Year!
Dana Zucker is a home cook that likes to do it her way! She gets creative with nutritious ingredients to keep her active family””teenage twins and a vegan, triathlete husband””healthy and happy. Cooking with organic, local and whole food ingredients is key, whether she’s whipping up an early-morning breakfast, prepping afterschool snacks or getting dinner on the table at 10 p.m. Dana says, “We do eat out sometimes, and even cheat with some pre-made foods. But I try to balance making delicious foods with the reality of a busy schedule.” Dana’s recipes are a great starting point to find a style of cooking that works for your family. Her advice? Keep it real””and keep it easy!
Latest posts by Dana Zucker (see all)
- A Very Vegan Passover - April 14, 2014
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – With Healthy Substitutions - September 24, 2013
- Raw Pumpkin-Cranberry Crumble - September 17, 2013