Crazy about chai? This wildly popular drink, made from black tea, milk and traditional Indian herbs and spices, is guzzled down by coffee-shop goers for its exotic, eye-opening flavor and irresistible creaminess. But a luscious latte isn’t the only way to enjoy it! In these mouth-watering muffins, an organic spiced chai protein shake is used to create moistness and kick up nutrition. Add raisins or diced apples for extra yum!
Gluten-Free Spicy Chai Muffins
Makes 12 to 15 muffins
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 4 Tbsp. butter or non-dairy butter alternative
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp. agave nectar or 4 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, pumpkin butter, apple butter or mashed banana
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour or almond meal
- Optional: 2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats or 1/4 cup whole millet
- 2 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup organic spiced chai protein shake* or steep
- 3 chai tea bags in 1/2 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy), cooled
- Optional: 1/2 cup raisins or diced apples (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray muffin tins with non-stick spray or line with muffin papers.
2. Blend sugar and butter until whipped and fluffy. Add eggs; stir. Mix in agave nectar or honey and applesauce (or pumpkin/apple butter or banana) until combined.
3. Stir all dry ingredients into the wet mix. Continue mixing while pouring in chai protein shake or tea. Mix until smooth.
4. Fill muffin tins about 2/3 full and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Recipe by Jules Shepard, courtesy of CalNaturale Svelte®. CalNaturale Svelte® organic protein shakes are made with the highest quality organic ingredients, providing sustained nutrition for your busy day! Svelte is high in protein from freshly made, non-GMO organic soymilk with complex carbs for sustained energy. It’s certified gluten free, low sugar, vegan and non-dairy, and is perfect as a delicious meal replacement, pre- or post-workout shake, or as an anytime on-the-go snack. Here’s to you! Learn more at sveltebrand.com.