Spruce up traditional stuffing with the clever addition of sweet, chopped dried cherries and crunchy sunflower seeds. This gluten-free side dish is made with brown rice instead of bread crumbs–so it can be enjoyed by everyone at your holiday table!
2 cups brown rice
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
4 stalks celery, diced
1 Vidalia onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
1/4 cup vegetable broth
2-1/2 tsp. chili powder
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1. Cook rice according to package instructions. Prepare a 9-inch baking dish with nonstick baking spray; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
3. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, onion, garlic, sea salt, pepper, sunflower seeds, dried cherries, vegetable broth and chili powder; mix well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish.
5. Bake for 25 minutes or until heated through.
6. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar; serve warm.
Amie Valpone, HHC, AADP is the Editor-in-Chief of TheHealthyApple.com; she is a Manhattan based Personal Chef, Culinary Nutritionist, Professional Recipe Developer, Food Photographer and Writer specializing in simple gluten-free and dairy-free ‘Clean’ recipes using whole foods. Amie recently healed herself from six years of chronic pain, exhausting every doctor in the country and Mayo Clinic; she shares her story of how Clean Eating saved her life and inspires you to Clean up your food, too. Amie lives in Manhattan, NYC where she cooks for a variety of clients including celebrities and people with busy lifestyles who enjoy healthy, fresh food. Visit Amie on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest; she’d love to hear from you!