If you haven’t tried cooking with millet yet, what are you waiting for? It’s a great, high-protein grain that cooks up fluffy and light, in about 15 minutes. Easy to digest, millet is also a nice change of pace from ordinary rice or quinoa. Here’s a fun, colorful recipe for a veggie-filled salad that can be served as a delicious lunch, side dish or light dinner.
1/2 cup millet
1 + 1/2 cup water
Pinch of salt
2 tsp. turmeric + 1 tsp. dried oregano
2 cups broccoli, steamed + coarsely chopped
2 cups cauliflower, steamed + coarsely chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
Juice of half a lemon
2 tsp. raw apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. olive oil
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. Soak millet for 15 minutes to 1 hour in pot of water. Drain and rinse millet thoroughly and place in pot with water, pinch of salt and turmeric, dried oregano.
2. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Stir with a fork.
3. Steam broccoli and cauliflower for 7 minutes.
4. Chop cilantro.
5. In a large mixing bowl, toss together millet, steamed vegetables, cilantro, and pumpkin seeds.
6. Combine lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, oil, sea salt, pepper then pour over salad.
7. Stir to combine salad with dressing. Serve cold or warm.
Latest posts by Pamela Higgins (see all)
- Butternut Squash & Apple Soup - October 23, 2014
- 3 Tricks for Celebrating a Healthier Halloween - October 16, 2014
- Chicory Latte with Dairy-Free Pumpkin Milk “Cream” - October 9, 2014