Common in Lebanese cuisine (think tabbouleh), bulgur is made from parboiled, dried and cracked wheat berries. This easy, flavorful bulgur recipe makes a perfect side dish, but is filling enough to be the main course.
Hearty Lemon & Herb Bulgur
Packed with whole-grain goodness
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups bulgur
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 ½ cups chopped carrot
- ¼ cup EACH finely chopped fresh dill, mint and flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Sauté onion in oil until golden-brown, add garlic and continue to cook on medium-low for 1 minute.
- Add bulgur, cumin and turmeric, cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in salt, broth, ginger and carrot – bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat until broth is absorbed, approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand (still covered) for 5 minutes.
- Stir in fresh herbs and lemon juice. Top with walnuts before serving.