Easy, instant blender recipes are good go-tos for busy days when time is tight. But when a Saturday afternoon rolls around and there’s nothing on the calendar, spending time in the kitchen chopping, mixing, simmering and stirring to create a special, elegant dish is a treat not just for you—but for everyone who gets to enjoy the masterpiece. This creamy, exotically spiced ice cream – made with organic and whole food ingredients – is the ultimate summer indulgence. Classic chai spices are steeped in black tea and a creamy milk blend, then chilled and churned in an ice cream maker. It’s the perfect dinner-party dessert or a solo splurge worth every second of effort!
Homemade Chai & Cardamom Ice Cream
2 vanilla beans
4 Tbsp. Irish breakfast tea
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. ground cardamom
5 cinnamon sticks
8 cardamom pods
4 black peppercorns
4 star anise
2 ginger root slices
1 tsp. orange peel
1 cup whole milk
2 cups half and half
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 large eggs
1-1/2 cups organic cane sugar
- Use knife to cut vanilla beans in half lengthwise; scrape seeds into a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add vanilla pods, tea, spices, milk, half and half and cream to saucepan. Bring mixture just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain mixture and return to saucepan.
- Lightly beat eggs in separate bowl. Temper eggs into cream mixture, continually whisking. Over low heat, cook mixture until temperature reaches 170 degrees.
- Pour mixture through a sieve into a bowl; let cool. Refrigerate mixture overnight, then use an ice cream maker to make ice cream.
Latest posts by Frontier Co-op (see all)
- Granny Smith & Gruyère French Onion Soup - October 15, 2014
- Grilled Tropical Teriyaki Tofu Burgers - September 17, 2014
- Maple-Glazed Grilled Peaches With Vegan Cinnamon Ice Cream - September 3, 2014