Life is like a bowl of”¦strawberry gelato! Take a break from the busy life to enjoy a sweet, chilly treat made from fresh berries. Pretty-pink in color and pleasing to any palate, it combines real pureed fruit with a swirl of coconut oil, a hint of raw honey and a secret healthy ingredient. Unlike other frozen desserts, this one isn’t made with heavy cream and scoops of sugar. The soft, silky texture and rich flavor come from a Svelte ® French vanilla protein shake.
Homemade Strawberry-Honey Gelato
Recipe courtesy of CalNaturale Svelte ®
Serves 4 to 6
- In a saucepan, bring protein shake and coconut oil to a boil; lower heat and continue to simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Whisk egg yolks, honey and salt until smooth and creamy.
- Slowly drizzle in warmed shake/coconut oil mixture into egg yolk/honey mixture while whisking briskly or blending on low speed.
- Return mixture to saucepan. Stir constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Add crushed strawberries and lemon zest; mix.
- Chill mixture for 4 to 6 hours in refrigerator to completely cool. (Refrigerating overnight will create even more intense flavor).
- When mixture is completely chilled, use ice cream maker to make gelato according to manuafctuer;s directions. OR, freeze mixture for 2 to 3 hours, put in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. Refreeze for 3-4 hours until firm.
CalNaturale Svelte ® organic protein shakes are made with the highest quality organic ingredients, providing sustained nutrition for your busy day! Svelte is high in protein from freshly made, non-GMO organic soymilk with complex carbs for sustained energy. It’s certified gluten free, low sugar, vegan and non-dairy, and is perfect as a delicious meal replacement, pre- or post-workout shake, or as an anytime on-the-go snack. Here’s to you! Learn more at sveltebrand.com.