An apple a day keeps the doctor away—and a gourmet baked apple can keep the kids happy when it’s time for a healthy dessert. This recipe makes the most of the naturally sweet flavor of apples by enhancing it with honey and spices. Add nutritious walnuts and optional mix-ins such as raisins, dried cranberries or dried blueberries, and you’ve got an after-dinner treat you’ll feel good about eating.
Honey-Walnut Baked Apples
8 large apples
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup organic sucanat brown sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (and/or raisins, pecans, dried cranberries or dried blueberries)
1/2 cup butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
2. Core each apple, leaving a small amount of apple at the bottom.
3. Mix together honey, walnuts, brown sugar and butter. Pour into cored apples.
4. Place stuffed apples in baking pan. Sprinkle with spices.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until apples are tender.
Optional: Top with shredded coconut and a scoop of coconut ice cream. Or for chocolate lovers, try substituting tiny chocolate chips for the walnuts and top with grated dark chocolate and a scoop of dairy-free or real vanilla ice cream for a truly decadently delicious dessert!