An apple a day keeps the doctor away—and a gourmet baked apple can keep the kids happy when it’s time for a healthy dessert. This recipe makes the most of the naturally sweet flavor of apples by enhancing it with honey and spices. Add nutritious walnuts and optional mix-ins such as raisins, dried cranberries or dried blueberries, and you’ve got an after-dinner treat you’ll feel good about eating.
Honey-Walnut Baked Apples
8 large apples
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup organic sucanat brown sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (and/or raisins, pecans, dried cranberries or dried blueberries)
1/2 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
- Core each apple, leaving a small amount of apple at the bottom.
- Mix together honey, walnuts, brown sugar and butter. Pour into cored apples.
- Place stuffed apples in baking pan. Sprinkle with spices.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until apples are tender.
Optional: Top with shredded coconut and a scoop of coconut ice cream. Or for chocolate lovers, try substituting chocolate chips for the walnuts and top with grated dark chocolate and a scoop of dairy-free or real vanilla ice cream for a truly decadently delicious dessert!