Let’s face it. Going bunless is no fun. But just because you’re on a low-carb diet doesn’t mean you have to stop stacking your burgers. Thick-cut, grilled zucchini slices make a great bulky-bread substitute and add extra veggie flavor to these Italian-style turkey patties. If snow season’s got your grill buried, bake both in the oven. Bored with burgers? Use this recipe to make meatballs, or cradle cooked patties in lettuce for a creative wrap.
Italian-Style Zucchini Burgers
Recipe by Amy Clevenger, fitfunandfantastic.com
1-1/4 lbs. extra-lean ground turkey
¼ cup quinoa flakes
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp. flax seeds
½ tsp. minced garlic (1 clove, minced)
2 Tbsp. tomato sauce
1. To make burgers, mix all ingredients together. Shape into patties.
2. For zucchini buns, brush both sides of zucchini slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Grill burgers and zucchini buns until cooked, flipping half way through. Serve with extra tomato sauce. (Note: You can also bake burgers and zucchini in the oven.)
Latest posts by Amy Clevenger (see all)
- Clean-Eating Chocolate Chip Cupcakes - September 1, 2014
- Spinach & Sun-dried Tomato Pasta with Creamy Greek Yogurt Sauce - August 25, 2014
- Cherry-Pistachio & Chicken Quinoa Salad - August 18, 2014