Is there anything better than ripe, sweet blueberries? Combine ’em with the tartness of freshly squeezed lemon juice and the zing of Greek yogurt and you’ve got yourself the perfect mix of flavors for a healthy springtime treat! These light, fruity cupcakes are a surefire way to impress a crowd – but don’t forget to save one for yourself!
Lemon-Blueberry Cupcakes with Greek Yogurt “Cream Cheese” Frosting
1-1/2 cups oat flour
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup powdered stevia (or sweetener of choice, to taste)
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 large egg (or 1 flax egg)
1-1/2 to 2 Tbsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
½ cup blueberries
1. The night before, prepare frosting as follows: Line strainer with cheesecloth. Scoop in Greek yogurt and hang strainer over bowl, with room at bottom to collect liquid. Refrigerate overnight to strain. In the morning, add vanilla and sweetener; beat for several minutes to make frosting; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. In small mixing bowl, combine almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Whisk mixture and set aside for 8 to 10 minutes.
4. In another mixing bowl, combine applesauce, egg and lemon juice; stir well.
5. In another mixing bowl, combine flours, sweetener, baking powder, salt and baking soda; mix well, then stir wet ingredients into dry mixture. Fold in blueberries.
6. Pour batter into prepared cupcake tin until wells are ¾ full. Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Let cupcakes cool, then frost. Top with blueberries or lemon zest. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.