A trusty can of tuna always is waiting on your pantry shelf, making lunch easy, quick and inexpensive. But whether it’s ladled onto a bed of lettuce or tucked between two slices of bread, tuna salad can get tiring. Try this fresh way to get the protein and omega-3s of your favorite convenient fish. These zesty patties come together with help from nutritious old-fashioned oats, shredded zucchini and a sprinkling of natural spices. Served hot or cold, they’re a creative catch for a mid-day meal, snack or dinner!
Light & Tasty Tuna Patties
Makes 4 patties
1 can tuna (no salt), drained
1 Tbsp. old-fashioned oats
½ medium zucchini, diced
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
½ Tbsp. yellow mustard
1 whole egg
1 tsp. herbal seasoning
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. smoked paprika
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. allspice
- Use a food processor to finely chop zucchini.
- Cook zucchini over medium heat in coconut or olive oil until softened.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Shape into four patties.
- Heat pan over high heat, then add patties; reduce heat to medium.
- Flatten patties with spatula and let cook for several minutes. Flip and continue cooking. Cook until both sides are browned and center is cooked through.
- Serve hot or cold.
Latest posts by Amy Clevenger (see all)
- Spaghetti Squash & Turkey Meatballs with Spicy Sauce - March 2, 2015
- Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie - February 23, 2015
- Quinoa Pasta Mac and Cheese - February 16, 2015