Whether a cold wind is blowing, a sleety rain falling or bone-chilling snow piling in the driveway, nothing warms you up like a bowl of homemade chicken soup. If you’re on a low-carb diet, you know that it can be tricky finding one that steers clear of pasta. This low-carb version is made with veggies rather than noodles for a diet-friendly and delicious dish.
Low Carb Chicken-Vegetable Soup
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup each thinly sliced celery and chopped green cabbage
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup chopped red pepper
1 pound summer squash, chopped
1 pound zucchini, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
3 cups organic chicken broth
1 tsp. Italian herbs
4 oz. chicken breast, skin removed and chopped
1 cup half-and-half
1. In large pot, saute onion, celery, garlic and pepper in oil. Add all ingredients except chicken and half and half.
2. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes or until veggies are tender.
3. Stir in chicken and half and half and cook until heated through.
Joanne Eglash, Vitacost.com’s Diet Diva, has a master of science in holistic nutrition and more than 15 years experience as a nutrition consultant, blogger, author and journalist. She has written for a wide range of publications and websites, including ediets.com, Natural Health magazine, Shape magazine, Success magazine, Energy for Women and Chefs. Joanne is currently the national Diets columnist for the online news and entertainment site, Examiner.com, and a features food columnist for Yahoo.
Latest posts by Diet Diva (see all)
- Stay-Healthy Tips for Nibblers and Grazers - September 29, 2014
- 7 Healthy Care Package Ideas for College Students - September 22, 2014
- 3 Simple (and Delicious!) Ways to Serve Shirataki Noodles - September 15, 2014