Think the secret to moist muffins is oodles of oil, eggs and milk? Think again. Melt-in-your-mouth texture is made without a drop of dairy or other animal-derived ingredients in these adorably plump, nutrient-packed little morsels. Freshly grated carrots, a bit of pumpkin, chopped walnuts and chewy coconut give them a hearty heaviness, while cinnamon and allspice infuse naturally sweet flavor. Top with homemade cashew cream “icing” for an even dreamier healthy treat.
Mini Vegan Carrot-Coconut Muffins
1 flax egg*
2-1/2 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 Tbsp. orange rinds, finely grated
2 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce or pure pumpkin
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice
3 Tbsp. unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup of shredded carrots
2 Tbsp. of dates, finely chopped
3 Tbsp. walnuts
1 cup gluten-free baking mix (no sodium/no sugar)
Optional: vanilla cashew cream
* To make flax egg, combine 4 Tbsp. flaxmeal with ½ cup + 1 Tbsp. water; mix and let stand for approximately 3 minutes until a thick gel texture forms.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a mini muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, combine flax egg, coconut oil, orange zest, pumpkin and spices. Add baking mix, coconut, carrots, dates and walnuts.
- Spoon batter into mini muffin pans and bake for approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- If desired, frost with vanilla cashew cream and garnish with orange zest “sprinkles.”
Latest posts by Mo, the Morselist (see all)
- Porcini Mushroom Dressing - October 15, 2014
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice French Toast - October 8, 2014
- Kid-Friendly Fall Recipe: Fruit & Nut Stuffed Apples - October 1, 2014