At the top of the comfort foods list (right next to mac “˜n’ cheese and mashed potatoes) is a dish you may have loved as a kid: pot pie. But making one usually means pulling a preservative-packed, frozen concoction from a box””not something that makes you very happy today. Here’s an alternative to letting a favorite dish live on in your memory. These mini pot pies are fresh and easy to make, filled with tasty veggies and topped with a homemade, gluten-free crust.
Mini Veggie Pot Pies
3 medium carrots, chopped
3 medium zucchini, chopped
1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2-1 tsp. cayenne pepper, to taste
3 Tbsp. hemp protein powder
1 Tbsp. toasted hemp seeds
1 Tbsp. water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In large bowl, mix together all filling ingredients
3. In a small bowl, combine baking mix with one cup of water; stir in mashed sweet potato. Shape into equal-sized balls.
4. Spray muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray. Scoop filling into wells. Place crust dough over filling, patting down to cover.
5. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
(Note: You can double the crust ingredients and, after forming balls, press dough into the pie tins and pre-bake for approximately 8 minutes to create a crust prior to filling with vegetables and topping for a more traditional pot pie.)
“Mo’s Healthy Morsels” is written by Maura (“Mo”) Knowles, a certified health coach, recipe developer and owner of Mac-n-Mo’s, a vegan baked goods company created by Knowles to help her dad eat better (and still enjoy food!) after he underwent quadruple bypass surgery in 2010. Knowles’ recipes for snacks, treats and other fun and healthy dishes appear every week here on the Vitacost blog, or visit Mo on Facebook or www.macnmos.com for more “morselicious” ideas and tips.
Latest posts by Mo, the Morselist (see all)
- Porcini Mushroom Dressing - October 15, 2014
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice French Toast - October 8, 2014
- Kid-Friendly Fall Recipe: Fruit & Nut Stuffed Apples - October 1, 2014