There’s something about the word “cookie” that makes us smile. Memories of childhood, perhaps, when our biggest worry focused on which cookie to choose from Grandma’s cookie jar? But we don’t always have time to bake in our busy adult lives “” and we also don’t want to resort to grabbing processed products at the store. Here’s the solution: no-bake cookie bars. This wholesome recipe is beyond simple, and better yet, it can be customized with your favorite dried fruits and berries, nuts or nut butters.
No-Bake Flax & Fruit Cookie Bars
Makes 24 bars
4 cups rolled oats
1-1/2 cups ground flaxseed
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup chopped unsalted walnuts
1-1/2 cups total of dried fruits, such as organic raisins, dried cranberries, dried apricots and/or goji berries
1 cup chocolate chips or carob chips
2-1/2 cups nut butter (use peanut butter, almond butter or a mixture)
1-1/2 cups raw honey
1. In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients.
2. Divide into two 9×11 pans and press flat.
3. Refrigerate bars for two hours, then cut into 24 bars.
Joanne Eglash, Vitacost.com’s Diet Diva, has a master of science in holistic nutrition and more than 15 years experience as a nutrition consultant, blogger, author and journalist. She has written for a wide range of publications and websites, including ediets.com, Natural Health magazine, Shape magazine, Success magazine, Energy for Women and Chefs. Joanne is currently the national Diets columnist for the online news and entertainment site, Examiner.com, and a features food columnist for Yahoo.
Latest posts by Diet Diva (see all)
- Beat Belly Bloat: Flattening Your Stomach Without Shapewear - October 20, 2014
- Healthy Snacks to Take to Work When You’re Dieting - October 13, 2014
- 4 Guilt-Free Comfort Foods for Colder Weather - October 6, 2014