Wait a minute! Didn’t the last Paleoista post mention that there’s an overabundance of Paleo treats? Indeed, that’s true. However, this is not to be confused with the idea of indulging in a special treat, made with natural, unprocessed (and even raw in some cases) Paleo ingredients, once in awhile for special occasions. During the hot summer months, who wants to bake anyway?
The following ideas are sure to please everyone””from kids to backyard barbecue guests””regardless of whether they adhere to the Paleo lifestyle.
Paleo Green Tea Granita
1. Combine tea or coffee with honey and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
2. Let cool and stir in vanilla.
3. Pour into glass or ceramic dish and place in freezer.
4. Stir with fork every 30 to 45 minutes to create a slushy texture.
5. Top with cinnamon or nutmeg, if desired.
Grilled Pineapple & Peaches (or Nectarines)
1 fresh pineapple, rind removed and cut into 1″³ thick rounds
4 fresh peaches (or nectarines), halved
1. Place fruit over hot coals of an outdoor barbeque.
2. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, flipping halfway through time.
3. Place on platter and tent with foil for 10 minutes.
Nell Stephenson, the original “Paleoista,” is the author of Paleoista, Gain Energy, Get Lean and Feel Fabulous with the Diet You Were Born to Eat (Touchstone, 2012) and co-author of The Paleo Diet Cookbook with Dr. Loren Cordain, PhD (Wiley & Sons, 2010). In addition to her work as nutrition consultant and trained chef, Stephenson is a personal trainer and competitive endurance athlete who credits the Paleo diet for her transformed health and athletic success. Visit her blog at www.paleoista.com.